Editor’s Note: This column by Ray Sanchez, the 2019 Sun Bowl Legend, originally ran ahead of last year’s Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl. So we ask ourselves, did Sanchez unwittingly catch the tiger by the tail? Did his magic crystal ball predict this? We may never know…
More Local Stories
Although the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl will not be played on December 31st, here are some of the game’s players and coaches who later went on to achieve greatness in the NFL.
The 2021 United Soccer League Championship season might be a few months away, but for the El Paso Locomotive FC, the roster is already starting to form.
I have lived to see a man walk on the moon. I have lived to see a black person elected president. But I still find unimaginable that Texas Western College could win a national basketball championship. But it happened! The Miners beat no less than University of Kentucky, 72-65.
Not being in a conference is not all that bad.
The 2020 college football season has been a challenge for most Division 1 programs.
There’s no doubt that golf is the most successful athletic program at UTEP.
The Dallas Cowboys began the 2020 season with promise, excitement and optimism.
Some columns are worth repeating. Here’s one I wrote (with a few updates) 32 years ago.
Coach Mark Lowry and his El Paso Locomotive FC team are just two games away from possibly delivering a championship – and a trainload of pride – to the Sun City.
Rice (10-4, 4-2) vs. UAB (10-2, 3-1)
Arkansas-Little Rock (7-6, 3-3) vs. Texas-Arlington (7-7, 3-3)
Texas State (9-4, 3-1) vs. Louisiana-Monroe (4-9, 2-4)
North Texas (7-5, 3-1) vs. Old Dominion (8-4, 4-2)
Louisiana Tech (11-4, 4-2) vs. UTEP (6-6, 2-4)
Southern Miss (7-6, 3-3) vs. UTSA (5-8, 1-5)
Nashville Predators vs. Dallas Stars
Dallas Mavericks (7-7, ninth in the Western Conference) vs. San Antonio Spurs (8-7, eighth in the Western Conference)
Houston Rockets (4-9, 14th in the Western Conference) vs. Detroit Pistons (3-11, 15th in the Eastern Conference)
A look at the upcoming week around the Big 12 Conference:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Stephen Curry had 26 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists, and the Golden State Warriors beat the San Antonio Spurs 121-99 on Wednesday night while honoring new Vice President Kamala Harris and her Oakland roots.
HOUSTON (AP) — Deandre Ayton had season highs with 26 points and 17 rebounds and the Phoenix Suns beat the Houston Rockets 109-103 on Wednesday night to end a two-game skid.
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — Demarkus Lampley had a career-high 30 points as Sam Houston won its ninth consecutive game, topping Abilene Christian 64-57 on Wednesday night.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Damion Rosser had 15 points and 11 rebounds to lead five New Orleans players scoring in double figures as the Privateers beat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 87-68 on Wednesday night.
HOUSTON (AP) — Ty Gordon scored a season-high 27 points as Nicholls State beat Houston Baptist 92-83 on Wednesday night. Andre Jones added 23 points for the Colonels.
HOUSTON (AP) — Marcus Sasser scored 26 points, Quentin Grimes added 18 points and seven rebounds and No. 8 Houston avenged its only loss with an 86-59 win over Tulsa on Wednesday night.
Sign up for our newsletters
- Which bars dominated borderland booze sales?
- Whispers: Digital drive-by, moving on and congrats
- State commission considers El Paso Historic District
- Vaccine ‘demand is huge’ as doses go quickly
- El Paso pediatrician appointed to state committee
- Tecma acquires trucking company
- 3 named to Federal Reserve El Paso Branch board
- Workforce Solutions identifies region’s ‘hot jobs’
- Foundation announces board officers, members
- My podiatrist, a former kick boxer, quite the guy
- Lebanon central bank governor denies transfer of capital
- Court leaves in question date of forthcoming Catalan vote
- Beyond Benign Launches Its Green Chemistry Commitment 25×25 Initiative
- Spodak Dental Group Named 2021 VIP: Diamond Top 1% Nationwide Invisalign Provider
- Lilly: Drug can prevent COVID-19 illness in nursing homes
- Uganda faces pressure to end Bobi Wine's house arrest
- Pakistan seeks to block US-based website of minority Ahmadis
- US home construction jumps 5.8% in December to 1.67 million