Cecilia Abbott, first lady of Texas, made her first visit to El Paso April 14, as she presented awards to local business during the 2016 Governor’s Small Business Forum.
The first of 10 forums to be held in Texas this year, the conference was hosted by the El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Tourism.
Business consultant Bill Mitchell made a presentation on ways business owners can better manage the generational differences found in today’s workforce. Read more about that in publisher Tom Fenton’s column on page 7A.
During lunch, Abbott presented six local businesses with State of Texas Small Business Awards.
They are: Woman-owned business - Southwest University, Yolanda Arriola, president; veteran-owned business - IDA Technologies, Von Washington, president; baby boomer-owned business - VEMAC, Oscar Venegas, president; Generation Y-owned business - Mattress Firm, Dan Longoria, president; millennial-owned business - Lopez & Associates, Cynthia Lopez, president; and rural business - LGA Trucking, Gabriel Subia.
Sign up for our newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Why the tower network atop the Franklin Mountains is causing 'massive concerns' across government agencies, law enforcement, elected leaders, the city and television stations
- El Pasoans take lead roles in ‘The Nutcracker’
- Miners headed to bowl game with winning record
- Sun Bowl teams to be announced Sunday
- Steven Clifton James
- EPCC celebrates completion of campus expansion
- ZZ Top giving all their lovin’ without Dusty Hill
- SpinLaunch’s space catapult completes first test launch
- El Paso banker named City Bank’s El Paso market president
- Letters: Deck park? El Paso Old Town? Elder abuse
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
- EXPLAINER: Jussie Smollett's turn to testify. Will he?
- Senegal registers first case of coronavirus omicron variant
- Hundreds march against COVID-19 restrictions in Belgium
- Saudi coalition in Yemen increases strikes on Houthi rebels
- Both sides planning for new state-by-state abortion fight
- Alcorn State faces tough test vs No. 15 Houston
- Texas Southern looks to knock off No. 14 Florida
- 1 miner missing, 1 hurt in coal mine accident in Poland