El Pasoans with local 915 numbers can typically call a restaurant for takeout or their friends and colleagues – really any local number – by dialing seven numbers. But 10-digit dialing is coming to El Paso, and starting Oct. 25, those with phone numbers in the 915 area will have to dial the area code and telephone number for all local calls, according to the Public Utility Commission of Texas. The Federal Communications Commission has ordered the switch for many area codes nationwide to facilitate the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s transition to a three-digit number that’s easy to remember and dial, like dialing 911 for an emergency. Beginning July 16, 2020, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s number will be shortened from 1-800-273-8255 to 988. The other Texas area codes making the switch to 10-digit dialing on Oct. 25 are 254, 361, 409, 806, 830, 915 and 940.
Sign up for our newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- El Paso hospitals struggle to fill hundreds of positions; offer sign-on bonuses as high as $20,000
- Rhinos ready to roll under new coach, league
- El Paso crime falls; Sun City remains among safest cities
- As marijuana becomes legal in New Mexico, two towns hold lessons for the borderland
- Hello Winners!
- GECU reveals plans to expand outside of El Paso region
- Whispers: Chope's reopens, more food news and Kevin Lovell on the run
- Judge rejects lawsuit on early end to unemployment benefits
- El Paso Film Festival focuses on local talent, networking
- Texas Nurse Practitioners recognizes El Pasoan
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
- What's Up: Tricks, Treats and Total Fun
- Sun City Gala
- Día de Los Muertos observes life in death
- Grown Together
- El Paso Requiem to honor Aug. 3 victims thru music Composition to become symbol for peace, hope
- Curtains up! Broadway in El Paso returns to Plaza stage
- Kappy's Corner: Picks up! UTEP football starts season strong
- Home sweet hogar: El Pasoan wins HGTV competition