We don’t know what hoax will light up social media this year, but April Fool’s Day is always a good time to recall great hoaxes of the past. See if you remember these, then check out the answers.
1. In 2007 eBay offered an “unbelievable deal” hoax that your face could be on what?
The quarter, Mount Rushmore, milk carton, Wheaties box
2. As a prank, George Plimpton wrote a sports article in 1985 about a kid who could throw a fastball how many miles per hour?
110, 122, 134, 168
3. In a 1996 hoax, who advertised they had purchased the Liberty Bell to “reduce the country’s debt”?
Taco Bell, Arby’s, KFC, Chili’s
4. Whose 2005 website claim of “water on Mars” was only a picture of a glass of water on a Mars candy bar?
FCC, IOC, NASA, NPR
5. In 1957, which TV network ran a famous hoax showing the Swiss harvesting spaghetti from trees? BBC, CBS, GMA, SFR
6. Who staged a 1998 prank advertising a hamburger for left-handers?
McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, Hardees