On a warm night in July, people from all over the region flocked to McKelligon Canyon Amphitheatre for a one-of-a-kind concert. Laura Tate Goldman, an El Paso singer, and her Los Angeles band drew a diverse crowd, an audience that mirrored her many loyalties and leadership roles in the comm… Read more
From the Editor
It’s almost fall! Well, at least what passes for fall here in the Southwest. Perhaps you’ve noticed the mornings are a tad cooler, and your air conditioner isn’t chugging away 24 hours a day. Fall has always been one of my favorite seasons. Even if you’re not in school or workaday world, you…
“They’re not liking my San Juan worms,” says one. Another whispers, “C’mon, baby. Come to momma.” A third says to no one in particular, “I’m gonna ‘walk the dog’ here.”
Gary Dewey will cap his 43-year career in the senior-living services business when he retires Aug. 31. He’s spent the last 17 years at the Good Samaritan Society’s White Acres retirement community on El Paso’s West side, where he has been director of housing with services.
Fall means fresh apples. As a child growing up back east, our family went “orchard crawling” every October, looking for “pick your own” signs. These days, however, my “orchard” is the neighborhood super market.
Your new Medicare card is coming soon. From now until April 2019, Medicare is mailing new cards to the more than 60 million Americans with Medicare. The 2.4 million Texans with Medicare will receive their cards early this fall.
The quest for a medication that works to treat Alzheimer’s disease reached a potentially promising milestone this summer. For the first time in a large clinical trial, a drug was able to both reduce the plaques in the brains of patients and slow the progression of dementia.
For lifelong heart health, start exercising early in life and keep exercising often – at least four times a week, according to a study involving hundreds of people and their hearts.
A look at past fall issues
Sign up for our newsletters
- Mine That Bird shocked world 10 years ago
- Cultural artwork to be demolished for highway
- Beto O’Rourke enters the 2020 presidential campaign
- Cardi B, Nelly to headline upcoming El Paso concerts
- Helen of Troy puts personal care business up for sale
- City names new managing director
- Kern Place CVS store closing
- New Mexico dispatches mobile clinic for migrants
- Inside Latin America's busiest cattle crossing
- MLB's Leroy Stanton, traded with Nolan Ryan, dies in crash
- Liz Weston: How to give money advice that sticks
- The ONE Group Hospitality, Inc. Expands into the Volunteer State with the Opening of STK Nashville
- Trump to GM: Reopen Ohio plant, close one in Mexico or China
- Crews work to control fire at Texas petrochemicals plant
- Dutch police confirm 1 dead, multiple wounded in shooting on tram in city of Utrecht
- Heavily armed police mass outside a building near site of tram shooting in Dutch city of Utrecht
- Putin visits Crimea to mark 5th anniversary of annexation