Desertaire Elementary School is a recipient of the 2020 National Blue Ribbon School award. Desertaire was one of 367 private and public schools nationwide recognized for demonstrating overall academic excellence or notable improvement in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. In 2016-17, the school was designated as a “Focus School” for its wide achievement gaps in reading and math when compared to other schools. By implementing practices that included data talks and analysis, progress monitoring, instructional rounds, tiered intervention and teachers teaching teachers, the campus went on to earn a B rating in 2018-19 and an A rating in 2019-20. It is the 12th school in the Ysleta Independent School District to become a Blue Ribbon school.
Sign up for our newsletters
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- El Pasoan ends ‘The Voice’ run on high note
- Restaurant, dog park concept coming to El Paso
- Local restaurants offer Thanksgiving to-go; ‘We’re doing what we can to stay alive.’
- ‘Mija Project’ pop-up opens at outlet mall
- Group fundraising to restore Sacred Heart Church in Segundo Barrio
- UMC prepares for arrival of new coronavirus vaccines
- El Paso’s apostle
- El Paso Children's Museum reveals exhibit designs
- City works with big-box stores to limit capacity, slow COVID-19 spread
- No. 15 Iowa St can nab title game shot against No. 20 Texas
- No. 15 Iowa St would get title shot with win at No. 20 Texas
- Alabama mail carrier surprises birthday boy with a gift
- Holiday trends to watch: Adult Play-Doh; stores that ship
- Georgia's state-owned Jekyll Island getting new hotel
- Atlanta may take back some of Peachtree Street from cars
- Dutch populist Baudet suggests splitting party he created
- GOP clashes as deadline to repeal tainted bailout law nears